Tummy tucks are a great way to shed stubborn fat and tighten loose skin after pregnancy or weight loss. The results you see can be incredible, and many people feel stronger and more confident after getting a tummy tuck. However, like all surgeries, there is a recovery process involved that should be taken seriously. An abdominal binder is one of the tools that can help you through it.
Types of Abdominal Binders
Some binders can be used for both men and women, but others are made specifically for men or women. Some provide only compression in the abdomen, while others also provide back support. Most abdominal binders attach using Velcro and have multiple compression levels for you to adjust as needed.
How to Use an Abdominal Binder After a Tummy Tuck
The main reason to wear an abdominal binder after a tummy tuck is to keep your muscles aligned and reduce swelling by providing consistent pressure. This pressure helps decrease the amount of fluid buildup in your abdomen, which may lead to uncomfortable bloating or even infection. In addition, wearing an abdominal binder can help keep your incisions clean and speed up healing by supporting your stitches.
There are many different brands of abdominal binders on the market. Some
You may find it hard to access the right information on the internet, so we are here to help you in the following article, providing the best and updated information on Abdominal bloating after tummy tuck , tummy tuck binder vs compression garment. Read on to learn more. We at collegelearners have all the information that you need about best binder for tummy tuck. Read on to learn more.
Abdominal bloating after tummy tuck
Tummy tuck is a cosmetic surgical procedure commonly performed for body contouring. Why is an abdominal binder important after tummy tuck surgery? What is its purpose? How long should it be worn? Patients often ask about wearing an abdominal binder after tummy tuck surgery. There is little science behind abdominal binders after tummy tuck. Recommendations often vary between surgical practices based on surgeon preference and clinical experience.
Potential advantages of wearing an abdominal binder after tummy tuck
Abdominal binders may be helpful in several ways following tummy tuck. By applying compression to the surgical site, the binder may help reduce swelling of the skin flaps and maintain contour improvements during early healing. It may also reduce the risk of seroma formation, which refers to a collection of fluid below the skin flaps. Although studies have not definitively proven a reduction in seroma rates following tummy tuck with abdominal binder usage, it offers a theoretical advantage by applying gentle compression. This may decrease the potential space deep to the skin flaps where fluid may accumulate. If every patient following tummy tuck surgery had an ultrasound performed, seromas would be identified in the majority of patients. These seromas are generally small however and resorbed by the body over time. Large seromas causing discomfort or visible fluid accumulation as well as those concerning for superimposed infection may require further treatment.
The abdominal binder may also improve patient comfort by providing additional support at the muscle repair site. Following pregnancies or significant weight gain, the rectus (abdominal) muscles are placed under increased tension, which often leads to gapping between the muscles centrally. Referred to as a rectus diastasis, this gap is stitched together during tummy tuck surgery, which improves the contour of the abdomen. It may also provide additional core strength. During early healing when the muscle repair is at greater risk for healing complications and recurrent separation, the abdominal binder may provide additional support and protection during muscle healing. Patients often report that it increases comfort and support when shifting positions or coughing and improves one’s posture during prolonged standing.
Recommended length of abdominal binder wear after tummy tuck
I recommend for patients to wear the abdominal binder full-time except when showering for the first month after tummy tuck. If tolerating well, I often recommend a total of 6 weeks. I provide my patients with three-panel abdominal binders. The three panels allow for graded compression and improved fit around the waist and hip regions as compared to a one-piece binder.
Tummy tuck binder vs compression garment
Benefits of a Compression Garment for Recovery After Tummy Tuck or Body Surgery
Tummy Tuck Surgery
Also known as abdominoplasty, a tummy tuck is a surgical procedure used to make the abdomen thinner and more firm. This involves excess skin removal and fat from the middle and lower abdomen so that muscle and fascia of the abdomen wall are tightened. After surgery a compression garment is an elastic fabric that applies consistent pressure to the treatment area. It is designed to enhance recovery for postoperative treatment following plastic-aesthetic procedures such as; liposuction, body surgery, Tummy tuck, etc.
What is a Tummy Tuck compression garment?
A Tummy Tuck compression garment is a heavily elasticized cloth that stretches around your midsection, much like a girdle. It fits snugly over your midsection, applying constant even pressure on that area. This typically covers the area below breasts down to hips and pelvic area.
Why should I wear compression Garments after a tummy tuck, Body surgery, or Liposuction?
To have a better plastic surgery outcome, there is a combination of factors; how we prepare for the procedure, the state of general mental and physical health, and what we do in the recovery process plays a vital role.
Wearing compression garments accelerates the healing process and reduce swelling and pain associated with the procedure. Compression garments that are of good quality and fit can lead to a speedy recovery and proper healing as well as reduce the risk of hematoma, lymphedema, seromas, and skin unevenness.
What are the benefits of using a compression garment following a tummy tuck, body surgery and lipo?
1. Reduced risk of Edema
- This is one of the most common complications of a tummy tuck. It is also known as a seroma.
- This refers to the excess serous fluid collecting and filling a pocket under the skin.
- Using compression garments, pressure is applied and this, in turn, pushes down on tissues so as to minimize or eliminate pockets where fluid could collect.
- The garment also promotes better circulation
2. Better circulation
With any surgical procedure, one of the most significant risks especially one as invasive as tummy tuck surgery is blood clots. Due to a lack of circulation blood clots can develop anywhere and can be dangerous. Compression garments, fortunately, promote circulation and therefore reduce the risk of blood clots.
3. Reduces postoperative pains
Since compression stimulates circulation and decreases swelling, these garments can help you feel better earlier. Furthermore, events like coughing or laughing are more bearable thanks to the pressure applied by the garment.
4. Protection from Infections
Compression garments also act as a protective barrier to our incised abdomen in procedures like a tummy tuck or liposuction and protect them from infection. It also facilitates better circulation and helps transfer antimicrobials to the site of possible infection.
5. Minimize scarring
The site of the surgery is properly held by compression garments and helps maintain stability. They hold the skin to recently contoured areas and allows wounds to heal and limit the extent of scarring.
6. Shaping the final results
- Compression garments improve the contour of the treatment area, this helps achieve optimal liposuction results.
- With the support of garments the body adapts to its new streamlined shape and reduces the risk of your skin developing a lax or wrinkled appearance.
- This allows smoother, tighter, more attractive liposuction results.
- Some patients also find that wearing a compression garment improves their posture and facilitates easy movement after a body contouring procedure.
Finding the best tummy tuck compression garment
- To help your recovery it is good to select a high-quality device to minimize the post-op discomfort.
- Coco Ruby Surgeons advise patients to wear a compression garment for six weeks in cases of larger surgeries like body lifts and tummy tucks.
- In cases of small ones like breast augmentation or a breast lift, a surgical bra for four weeks helps.
- Since you will be wearing it for a long time it’s better not to choose a cheap low-quality garment as not only will it make recovery harder it will also probably be more uncomfortable.
- Choosing a low-quality garment is a decision you will likely regret.
- Patients should not have to worry about researching and buying garments on their own because we will simply provide you with a comfortable, high-quality compression garment to wear after surgery.
- It is all included in our price.
Download Our Guide For More Information on Tummy Tucks
Choosing the Best Compression Garment
The quality of a compression garment is very important. It can vary depending on the manufacturer. some features to look at if you are buying one:
- Antibacterial properties;
- Lipoelect is a brand that makes garments with silver nanoparticles to prevent bacterial growth on the skin.
- This helps lower the spread of microbes and will speed healing and reduce odour.
- Breathable materials;
- It’s always good to choose items that are comfortable.
- It’s best to avoid cheap, scratchy, or itchy fabrics that can be too abrasive for healing skin.
- Breathable materials will also decrease sweating, allows the skin to stay dry and comfortable.
- Having fabric that has plenty of stretch and durability will be good.
- Moisture-wicking fabric;
- Fabrics like these help to keep your skin dry.
- Such materials will not only make you more comfortable but also decrease bacterial spread since bacteria thrive in moisture and heat.
- It may also reduce the odour caused by bacteria.
- Flat seams or seamless design;
- Having flat seams will help to decrease irritation on the skin as u heal.
- Quality closures;
- There are binders that have Velcro closures, unlike compression garments that have zippers or hook-and-eye closures.
- Zippers and clasps make it easy and comforting.
- Your strain when taking the garment on and off will also decrease.
Coco Ruby Surgeons advise patients to wear a compression garment for six weeks in cases of larger surgeries like body lifts and tummy tucks. In cases of small ones like breast augmentation or a breast lift, a surgical bra for four weeks helps.
Since you will be wearing it for a good long time it’s better not to choose a cheap low-quality garment as it will make recovery harder. It will probably be more uncomfortable. It is a decision you will likely regret. patients should not have to worry about researching and buying garments on their own because we will simply provide you with a comfortable, high-quality compression garment to wear after surgery. It is all included in the price.
Post- Op Garment FAQs – Questions about Tummy Tuck and Compression Garments
How long should I wear a compression garment following a tummy tuck?
- Tummy tuck surgery is one of the more aggressive body contouring procedures performed by cosmetic or plastic surgeons around the world.
- To have the best outcome from your procedure, you will need to wear compression garments for at least 6 to 8 weeks after tummy tuck surgery.
How tight should your compression garment be after lipo?
- Doctors advise that the compression garment should be tight enough to provide the support you need, but not too tight as to cause uneasiness or discomfort.
- The compression garment should fit properly to achieve its goals, but if we wear a garment that is too tight, it can worsen the condition instead of improving it.
How Long Do I Have to Wear a Compression Garment?
- Every patient’s healing capacity is different, but the following list provides a rough estimate of how long compression garments are worn after each procedure.
- Tummy tuck – 4 to 6 weeks
- Liposuction –2 to 6 weeks, depends on the body area and liposuction technique
Can I remove my binder or garment to shower?
- Yes, when you shower you can remove compression garments.
- 2 days after a tummy tuck, body lift, or liposuction most patients are cleared to shower.
- Gently pat yourself dry with a towel and once dry it’s vital patients put their compression garments back on.
How can I protect the surgical site while my garments are in the wash?
- It’s best to purchase multiple garments so you always have an extra backup.
- The successful surgical result is seen with consistent compression so that the site is always protected and secure.
A compression garment is an elastic fabric that applies consistent pressure to the treatment area, which is designed to enhance recovery and is designed for postoperative treatment following plastic-aesthetic procedures such as liposuction, body surgery, Tummy tuck, etc.
What is the best tummy tuck compression garment?
- To help your recovery it is good to select a high-quality device to minimize the post-op discomfort.
What is liposuction? Who are the candidates for liposuction?
- It is a fat removal procedure from specific fat deposit parts of the body, the most common being the abdomen, hips, buttocks, and thigh commonly used in plastic surgery.
- In general, good candidates for liposuction include:
- within 30% of their ideal weight Adults who have firm, elastic skin, and good muscle tone
- patients who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- Nonsmoker individuals
- patients with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for body contouring
How is abdominal liposuction different from a “tummy tuck”?
- Most of the fat found under the skin and above the abdominal muscles is removed by liposuction. For patients who have good abdominal muscle tone, liposuction can provide a good improvement, with a natural appearance of the abdomen, and with minimal scarring. In the majority of liposuction patients, the elasticity of abdominal skin contracts smoothly, and there is no need to surgically remove the skin. A tummy tuck involves liposuction to remove fat plus the surgical removal of a large section of skin from the lower abdomen along with a surgical relocation of the belly button. An unsightly scar can be seen with a tummy tuck that extends across the entire lower abdomen, just above the pubic area. Liposuction is much safer, quicker, and easier than the recovery after a tummy tuck.
Choosing Dr Rebecca Wyten
Your Plastic Surgeon for a Tummy Tuck or Mummy Makeover Procedure
It’s best to follow the steps beneath for choosing the best plastic surgeon:
- A local, Specialist Plastic Surgeon (look for FRACS and ASAPS or ISAPS).
- Choose a surgeon who has a lot of experience performing tummy tuck or liposuction surgeries
- It is vital that you ask your surgeon where the surgery is going to take place. Make sure it is a reputed hospital.
- Try to get an appointment with the plastic surgeon directly for an extended consultation before you say yes to the surgery.
- If confused or in doubt, you can have two consultations or get a second opinion. Because it’s a collaborative procedure process where you’ll want to have great communication with your Surgeon and feel comfortable you’re getting the right Specialist Surgeon for your procedure.
- This will also help you to get to know the Surgeon and see if your personality and surgical needs mesh with his personality and his communication style.
- It’s not the end of the world if you don’t, because there are other Plastic Surgeons in Melbourne.
- Check on the surgeons before and after photos. It will help you to determine your surgeons’ skill and expertise.
About Dr Rebecca Wyten
Melbourne Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Rebecca Wyten is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon from Melbourne. Patients choose Dr Wyten for just some of the following reasons:
- Female Plastic Surgeon is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon at Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery.
- 21 years of expertise in the field of plastic surgery, particularly breast augmentation surgery.
- A ‘Fellow’ of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. FRACS
- Most up to date techniques for fat transfer or fat grafting to the breast.
- Warm, engaging and down to earth and is highly regarded by her patients and team.